Wednesday, December 01, 2004

I TOLD YOU SO

NOW it's time for my I Told You So column. During the Kerry campaign, I wrote to his assistant campaign manager, Steve Elmendorf. I also posted a version of what I wrote (with somewhat less judicious wording) at Democrats.com, the progressive Democratic Website.

I heard back, indirectly, from the Kerry campaign that I was stirring things up and causing them trouble by using phrases like "Bush lite" in describing what John Kerry should strive NOT to be.

Here's part of what I said:

"John Kerry needs the progressive vote. He needs it most in the swing states, the ones narrowly went for either Gore or Bush in 2000. Why? Because the Republicans are going after their right. They are not wringing their hands over placating the middle. They know most moderate republicans will vote for them. John Kerry should be able to similarly relax about the moderate Dems."

But the Kerry campaign did not heed these words, nor my offer of help with the progressive base. Instead, they went after the mushy middle, and got a mushy middlin' vote.

Now, pundits on the left are echoing my sentiments. Recently, Joe Trippi said "Democrats can't keep ignoring their base. Running to the middle and then asking our base at the end of the campaign to make sure and vote is not a plan. It sure hasn't worked. And to those who say talking to your base doesn't work - read the Rove 2004 playbook!"

So good Green Dog Dems, we were right and they were wrong. Too bad it doesn't feel better.

Here's a couple more websites to add to your list of must reads:

http://www.joetrippi.com/

www.ariannaonline.com/

Comments please?

Dotty

No comments: